|Perception is important and with the bamboo ceiling, your voice is a fundamental core of communication that may impact your career. In this socially sensitive world where people are cautious about bringing up topics that can be misunderstood as not PC, yKAN wants to bring out to the open the topic of accents so that our members can develop the skills to get the accent they may desire to be more successful professionally.
Join yKAN for a FREE workshop to tap into a deep part of yourself, and learn how you can change your speaking patterns. Changing one’s accent or speaking style is not negating one’s identity; we are all works in progress, expanding who we are and growing through life experiences and time.
7 pm – 7:15 pm – Registration
7:15 pm – 7:30 pm – Introduction
7:30 pm – 8:45 pm – Accent Reduction Workshop
8:45 pm – 9 pm – Conclusion
What you will Learn in class:
- Reasons why changing an accent is difficult
- Strategy to learn the most challenging sounds and elements in Standard American English
- Practice in a fun, relaxed, low key environment
- Discuss ways to successfully carry over new patterns into habitual daily speaking
- Determine ways to use your voice more effective in professional settings.
Seating is Very Limited (Capacity: 10 people). – Register Now to Guarantee Your Spot!
|What:||[yKAN] Tapping into Accents Workshop|
|When:||Thursday, June 16, 2016
7 – 9 pm
|Where:||NY DokSeoSil (5th Floor Gallery)
312 5th Ave (between 32 & 31 str)
|Cost:||FREE ($20 deposit to reserve your spot)*|
|RSVP:||Reserve your tickets online.
About the Instructor (Judith Weinman):
|Judith Weinman is a speech/language pathologist and corporate speech trainer in New York City since 1992. Her practice, Accent On Speech, is based in NYC and specializes in accent modification and improvement of the voice for business and personal life. Most of her clients come from the corporate world, and have included companies such as: Bloomberg, BTG Pactual, Columbia University, Bank Austria, State Bank of India, Colgate Palmolive. Her background includes a BA in Linguistics and a MA in Communication Sciences and Disorders. She holds workshops and lectures on voice and speech. In addition, she guests occasionally on radios, including “Urban View” on Sirius Radio.|
All ticket sales are final.
* The $20 deposit will be returned after the event for attending participants who RSVP’ed. Late-comers and no-shows will forfeit their deposit. You can elect to donate the $20 deposit at the event to help pay for the venue.